Firefighter Bill of Rights
Time & Location
About the event
Do your managers and supervisors understand the California Firefighters Procedural Bill of Rights Act (FBOR) and its impact on misconduct investigations? Do your supervisors have a clear understanding of the Spiebauer case and its influence on compelled interviews? This workshop provides a comprehensive review of FBOR. Emphasis is placed on taking complex court decisions and translating them from legalese into accessible language and real-world scenarios. Subjects covered in this class include:
- When does FBOR apply and under what circumstances?
- What information must I disclose to a firefighter upon receiving a complaint about his/her conduct?
- What issues arise in regard to a firefighter’s right to representation?
- What is the role of a representative during the interview?
- What rules and stipulations apply for complaints involving possible criminal activity?
- What is the one-year time-bar rule?
- What are the rights of a firefighter to review his investigative files?
- When can I search a firefighter’s locker?
- What are the consequences of not adhering to FBOR rights?